THE SEVEN HABITS OF HIGHLY EFFECTIVE PEOPLE
Habit 6 -- Synergize
Principles of Creative Communication
- The exercise of all the other habits prepares us for the habit of
- Synergy. The whole is greater than the sum of its parts.
- Few people experience synergy in their lives because most people
have been scripted into defensive or protective communications.
- Synergy can be unnerving unless one has a high tolerance for
ambiguity and gets security from integrity to principles and inner
Synergy in the Classroom
- Many truly great classes teeter on the very edge of chaos.
- Synergy is possible in the classroom when the group collectively
agrees to subordinate old scripts and to write a new one.
Synergy in Business
- To achieve synergy in business requires that people become open
- When we open ourselves up to the influence of others, we gain new
insights and facilitate the generation of new options.
Synergy and Communication
- The lowest level of communication coming out of low trust
situations is characterized by defensiveness, protectiveness, and
legalistic language which covers all the bases and spells out qualifiers
and escape clauses in the event things go sour.
- The middle level of communication is respectful communication --
where fairly mature people communicate.
- The highest level of communication is synergistic (win/win)
Fishing for the Third Alternative
- In many compromise situations there is usually a third
- Synergistic third alternatives are often better for both parties
than their original alternatives.
- Seeking the third alternative is a major paradigm shift from the
dichotomous either/or mentality.
- Most highly dependent people are trying to succeed in an
- Many people don't realize that the real strength of any
relationship is having alternative points of view.
Valuing the Differences
- Valuing the differences is the essence of synergy.
- The truly effective person has the humility and reverence to
recognize his own perceptual limitations and to realize the rich
resources available through interaction with the hearts and minds of
- If two people have the same opinion, one person is unnecessary.
Force Field Analysis
Any current level of performance or being is a state of equilibrium
between the driving forces that encourage upward movement and the
restraining forces that discourage it.
- Driving forces generally are positive, reasonable, logical,
conscious, and economic.
- Restraining forces are often negative, emotional, illogical,
unconscious, and social/psychological.
[ Previous Habit | Table of Contents | Next
- You don't have to take insults personally.
- You can sidestep negative energy.
- You can look for the good in others.
- You can express ideas, feelings, and experiences in a way that
will encourage others to be open also.