THE SEVEN HABITS OF HIGHLY EFFECTIVE PEOPLE
Habit 7 -- Sharpen the Saw
Principles of Balanced Self-Renewal
- Habit 7 is taking the time to sharpen the saw.
- This is definitely a Quadrant II activity.
Four Dimensions of Renewal
The Physical Dimension
- Involves caring effectively for our physical body.
- Exercise is a Quadrant II, high-leverage activity that most of us
don't do consistently because it isn't urgent.
- Three areas are necessary:
- Endurance comes from aerobic exercise
- Flexibility comes through stretching
- Strength comes from muscle resistance exercises.
The Spiritual Dimension
- The spiritual dimension is your core, your center, your commitment
to your value system.
- Spiritual renewal is a Quadrant II investment of time that we
really can't afford to neglect.
- A personal mission statement enables us to have an understanding
of our purpose which we can review frequently.
The Mental Dimension
- Surveys indicate that the television is on in most homes thirty-
five to forty hours per week.
- Reading good literature on a regular basis is a good way to renew
- Keeping a journal of our thoughts, experiences, and insights is
Daily Private Victory
- Sharpening the saw in the first three dimensions.
- Spend one hour a day in activities in these areas.
The Social Dimension
- This area of our lives is primarily developed in our relationships
- We can help script others as principle-centered, value-based,
independent, worthwhile individuals.
Balance in Renewal
- The self-renewal process must include balanced renewal in all four
dimensions of our lives.
- This is true for organizations as well as for individuals.
Synergy in Renewal
- Renewal in any dimension increases our ability to live at least
one of the Seven Habits.
- Improvement in one habit synergistically increases our ability to
live the rest.
- The Daily Private Victory is the key to the development of the
Seven Habits and it is completely within your Circle of Influence.
[ Previous Habit | Table of Contents | Inside-Out Again ]